Salaam ladies! I hope you are doing well inshallah. I wanted to share a nice cozy recipe for those mid winter evenings that is not only rich and delicious, but easy to make.
We all know that kids (big and little) hate Brussels sprouts! But what if you could make a dish out of them that is super yummy? A win right?
Here is my secret recipe that will have everyone happy (just don’t tell them why the soup is green). I adapted the recipe from one I found online. Feel free to add in your own twist.
4 cups Brussels sprouts
3 cups of Saffron Road chicken stock
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp of chili powder
1) Trim tough outer leaves if sprouts and put and trim each stem. Drop sprouts into boiling chicken broth and simmer until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
2) Blend sprouts in a food processor. Save cooking liquid in a separate bowl for later.
3) Melt 3 Tbsp of the butter in a saucepan and stir in flour. Blend well.
4) Add reserved liquid, stir rapidly with a whisk, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the pureed sprouts, milk, and nutmeg. Simmer 5 minutes.
6) Add cream and peppers. Heat to a simmer. Add in remaining butter.
7) Serve warm.